Lykke Li

LykkeLi

Lykke Li is my current, gorgeous-voiced female singer crush.

I did this painting from a screenshot I did 1:29 minutes into the heart-wrendingly beautiful¬†video for Sadness is a Blessing. I wanted to capture the perfectly portrayed, fragile, near-crazy look Lykke is doing here. I didn’t quite succeed… she’s gorgeous, but I simply could not capture the edge of madness she is portraying so well.

Lykke has recently done a collaboration with David Lynch, called I’m Waiting Here. It, too, is gorgeous. Anyone familiar with David Lynch will know who Julee Cruise is/was… knowing this, you would totally see why he would do a music collab with Lykke… she sounds like everything Julee Cruise strained so hard to be, vocally, only better. Much better… and I liked Julee Cruise.

About these ads

1. Lykke Li… so amazing singer. Beautiful artwork. Thank you !

February 21, 2014 at 9:37 am

2. Hi Chris, Wow!!! I watched the video, its incredible on Many many levels, so many subtle layers to it. After watching Lykke’s edge of madness look, as you say, it doesn’t fully come through. I then did the screenshot too and don’t see much difference between the shot and your illustration, you have done a great job!!! Not quite sure what would help capture that look entirely?? Still love it though and she is great!!

February 21, 2014 at 9:44 am

• Yeah, it’s strange, my version looks almost exactly like the screenshot… yet not. It’s some subtle combination of eyes and mouth, I think… I put a lot of work into both, but couldn’t quite get it. Thanks Cari-Ann (:

February 21, 2014 at 4:28 pm

3. good work!!!

February 21, 2014 at 1:02 pm

4. throughhisown

Love those cheeky (?) eyes. I was struck by the strong connection between eyes and smile. I think you nailed it.

March 14, 2014 at 3:53 am

• Yeah, they’re definitely cheeky/mischievous, but also, in the context of the video, slightly brittle/crazy. Thanks (:

March 14, 2014 at 5:53 am

• throughhisown

Never forget (as I know you haven’t) closed eyes can be just as powerful as eyes wide open.

March 16, 2014 at 8:46 am

5. Wow. I love Lykke Li! Thanks! :-)

March 23, 2014 at 12:37 am