Image

Alice 3 To Get Away Painting WIP 6

A3TGAWIP6

Here’s where she’s at.
I tried the big colour overlay a few days ago… total, heart-wrending failure! I sat, staring in disbelief at the loss of all those hours of subtle work, for a good ten minutes (i’d used an additive medium, which saved me in as far as it slowed drying time!), before my inner pragmatist shouted to my outer stunned mullet “Try to wash it off! You’ve got nothing to lose!” which galvanised me to rush the canvas under running water and, with a cloth, scrub the disastrous colour layer off; yay for acrylic which, when dry, is 100% water resistant, but, till then, 100% water soluable!
Anyway, lesson learned… stick to the style you have spent years developing! This is now going to be a fully committed Chris Attwell black and white painting… so I’ve actually done a lot more work on the shading, with lots to go, but am happy with my progress. After all, if I really want to add colour, I can do it in Photoshop!

1. Oh no, I know that feeling of disbelief! Well thank goodness for the pragmatist, she is looking Stunning πŸ™‚ ! Maybe experiment with colour another time with a subject that’s not so dear to your heart. Really looking forward to WIP 7.

May 26, 2013 at 6:51 am

• Yes, Alice is dear to my heart; I always fall in love with my creations, they take on very real existence’s… if you’ve looked at any of my Alice/Creaturina narrative, you’ll see Alice has a huge backstory, one I lived as I invented it. To ruin an image of her would be genuinely heart-wrending for me. I think I’ll skip the colour thing, it’s clearly not something I am suited to in physical painting; though, as I said, it’s easy in Photoshop (:

May 26, 2013 at 7:05 am

• You got honours in design for a reason (haha) it is your medium! I have not checked out Alice’s backstory, thanks for telling me, I will definitely investigate further…sounds interesting! πŸ™‚

May 26, 2013 at 7:12 am

• If you want to spend the time, you really need to go right back to Creaturina’s beginning… put’s Alice into context; it’s a lot of reading, though…

May 26, 2013 at 7:34 am

• Thanks so much, I will begin tomorrow, as I will have more time to dedicate. I’m really looking forward it πŸ™‚

May 26, 2013 at 7:39 am

• (:! Cheers, Cari-Ann, you’ll be the first person who has ever bothered to read all my stuff… it’ll totally change your understanding of me and my work… I love my Alice and my Creaturina! I did my Honours exhibition on Creaturina. I actually developed Alice because I had hit a technical wall with Creaturina (I’m not happy with my ability to fully illustrate her). Anyway, I hope you enjoy the journey!

May 26, 2013 at 7:48 am

• πŸ˜€ Its such a pity, but yes its true, on this crazy virtual world, the work seems to have a 5 second self life. Well Chris for what its worth I think your ability to Illustrate is fantastic…having said that, I can certainly see an evolution in your ability with Alice. I’m truly loving the journey so far πŸ™‚

May 27, 2013 at 2:30 pm