Beautiful Milla

Beautiful Milla

I think Milla Jovovich is both stunningly beautiful, and drop-dead gorgeous, creating a whole new category  for which there are not enough superlatives.

I painted this entirely in Photoshop CS5… as in; I think I’m over Corel Painter! I discovered Painter (well, started using it, I’d known about it for years) about a year ago… it was a revelation, and I passionately embraced it. But, as I got more confident with it, the skills and confidence leaked across into my long-time love, Photoshop, and I realised I could do all the same stuff there, without the constant, irritating crashes you get in Corel. Corel is awesome, and has abilities Photoshop doesn’t have, but it is infuriatingly buggy, as apposed to Photoshops powerful, stable platform. For the last few months I’d only been doing the initial drawing in Corel, mainly because of it’s great rotate function, which also requires constant saves as it crashes every time you most don’t want it to… then I discovered that Photoshop CS5 has an even better, non-crashing rotate function! That’s the trouble with Photoshop, it’s so damned huge and powerful, there is probably more in it I don’t use than do!

I have created a new category on my blog called ‘portrait’, so, if you haven’t seen all my previous portraits, it’s now easy to find them (:

1. yanyandf

woah! your digital painting is really mind blowing. it’s almost photoreal, great work!!

June 22, 2013 at 3:15 am

• Thanks! Being told my work is ‘almost photo-real’ is the ultimate compliment for me (:

June 22, 2013 at 3:18 am

2. This is so “hyper-real” it’s actually spooky.

June 22, 2013 at 11:28 am

• Thanks, Alli. I know hyper-realism isn’t every ones thing, but I love it at this level, where it looks like a photo, but only takes a second look to see it’s a painting. I think my recent excursion back into ‘real’ paint, really boosted my digital skills, somehow, because this is undoubtedly my best digital painting ever (:

June 22, 2013 at 9:13 pm

3. Incredible Chris!!!! Your skills are truly Amazing. I see Alice in this portrait of the beautiful Milla? There is a likeness in the eyes, the expression, very similar emotions coming through (that kick-ass quality). Which is a testament to the quality of your craft in creating Alice, a ‘fictional’ character. Stunning!!

June 24, 2013 at 8:21 am

• Cheers, Cari-Ann! Milla sure does kick-ass extremely well! The characters she plays, particularly Alice in the Res Evil films, definitely inform my Alice! (:

June 24, 2013 at 8:31 am

• Aah….of course, I forgot her character name in the Resident Evil films….dead brain day :D. Still, fantastic work!!!

June 24, 2013 at 8:36 am

• ‘My name is Alice, and I remember everything!’… not that my Alice is named after that Alice, my Alice is actually named after Alice in Wonderland (:

June 24, 2013 at 8:38 am

• Hahaha. very cool. 🙂

June 24, 2013 at 8:50 am

4. I agree with you about PS vs Painter. Nice work!

June 26, 2013 at 10:06 pm