Chloe WIP 2

ChloeWIP2

Chloe progresses gorgeously. I’m going to do her arms, face and hair first, then slowly block in her top. That way, if I feel I’m not capable of doing a good enough job of her top, the picture will be too good to trash, so I’ll have to improvise a compromise top… even as it is now, it looks pretty cool.

The soundtrack for this has been, so far: Enya, Ennio Morricone, Eumir Deodato and Evanescence. Apparently Chloe’s favorite musicians are Rihanna and Britney Spears, so, unfortunately she is not perfect, and there is no way I’ll be listening to her musical tastes to facilitate inspiration.

1. Freaking WOW! I thought this was an intentionally overexposed photograph! Amazing.

October 27, 2013 at 9:44 am

2. I also thought you were creating an entirely new “style” for your portraits. Maybe should pursue the detailed face and ambiguous everything else for a little bit and see what happens? This looks really interesting as is. Am afraid excruciating detail in the entire image will distract from the focal point of interest. But hey, it’s your work so as usual feel free to totally ignore me.

October 27, 2013 at 2:14 pm

• It’s a good suggestion, Alli, and there are plenty of trendy artists who do that style. It’s just not me, unfortunately. The main reason I decided to attempt this image was to do her amazing top, I’m pretty confident with my ability to render faces/skin/hair, but have never attempted anything as complex as her top is. I think there will be enough tonal contrast to separate all that excruciating detail I like so much. And, for me, it’s all the focal point of interest, and the way the original photo has been lit, and the way I have cropped my version, I don’t think anything will distract from anything.
      Please keep making such valuable critique… like I said, I think it looks cool like it is, and I totally get what you are saying about it being an interesting stylistic approach… but it’s just not me.

October 27, 2013 at 8:18 pm

• To thine own self be true!

October 28, 2013 at 12:09 am

• Indeed (:

October 29, 2013 at 5:57 am

3. throughhisown

D D G is dead right. Looking forward to future developments.

October 28, 2013 at 12:32 am

4. Blessed and cursed are the detail freaks :D…so worth it though!!!

November 8, 2013 at 11:32 am

• It’s a fine line between not enough and too much detail, for me. I tend toward photo-realism, so tend to include a lot of detail, but I also like minimal detail, too, it depends on what I’m trying to achieve… here, detail was the point.

November 8, 2013 at 7:19 pm