Fictional Landscape

Fictional Landscape

This is a combination of two photos, I made it six years ago. Today, in five minutes, I changed it from colour to black and white, and put a new date on it. Five minutes work… it will probably get more ‘likes’ than Chloe Grace Moretz, which was at least 12 hours of loving work. I think this sucks.

I will not be posting any more WIP’s. I thought people might like to see my process, how much work I actually put into what I love, but I think people just get bored with them, and even stop seeing the development. One of the Chloe WIP’s got twice as many ‘likes’ as the finished work, which was 50 times better/more developed… for me, this was heart-wrending. After it had been up for 12 hours (the final Chloe), and still only had a few ‘likes’, I did a little experiment, to test a hypotheses. I took a 5 year old, cheesy/bland sunset photo, cropped it, and called it Rows & Flows… the whole process took, literally, 5 minutes at most. Within a few hours, it had more ‘likes’ than Chloe Grace Moretz, as I knew it would have. People prefer my throwaway, 5 minute rubbish to my lovingly crafted, 12-plus hours of work paintings. They always have. This one will probably also be more popular than Chloe. And I needn’t worry about offending anyone with what I’ve just written, because no one reads this stuff. I won’t stop doing/posting paintings, just won’t bore anyone with WIP’s anymore.

1. Oh heck, I do WIP’s all the time and love seeing ones that others do. After I saw the completed Chloe, I went back and looked at each and every one of the WIP’s just to see the progression again because I couldn’t fathom that the completed piece came from practically nothing! Had to see how it developed! Maybe I’m just an art mutant…but I do understand how you feel. The only thing I can say is that the people who are really into your work will take the time to look at everything. Those who aren’t will just mindlessly hit the “like” button. And the former are the people you want to keep as your fans and readers. Who wants a bunch of sheep as followers, anyway? I really don’t care how many followers I get as long as the ones I have are truly interested in the work. Sometimes I wish there was a function to drop some followers. Heck, maybe there is and I just haven’t seen it yet!

November 3, 2013 at 12:31 am

• Thanks, Alli, you are one of about 5 of my 434 ‘followers’ who is really a follower, and who actually interacts with me. Everything you say is true, I just had to have a bit of a rant… I’m really proud of Chloe Grace Moretz, and was genuinely stunned by the lack of appreciation for the final. I am also genuinely irritated that people prefer my cheesy schmaltz photos to my paintings. It was a wasted rant, really, because the only people who will read it, people like you, are not the people it’s about. It was a ‘therapeutic’ rant (:

November 3, 2013 at 1:03 am

• There’s a huge culture shortage in the world. Banality rules at the moment. My personal challenge has been to just get used to it. And to encourage those who are at least making an attempt to appreciate creativity and beauty when presented with it. I make an effort to lead by example. You are doing that too but the internet is an awfully hard nut to crack so I don’t think we can attach undue importance to the opinion of the masses. Validation from others is wonderful but the ultimate word in any creative endeavor is whether or not the product truly makes its creator feel a sense of supreme satisfaction. You do, don’t you? πŸ™‚

November 3, 2013 at 2:56 am

2. Ahhh…great rant Chris! I “liked” this black and white photo because I really do like it.

I get annoyed with followers too. I’ve noticed if I put something in a category like “photography”, bloggers who also post in that category will click “like” without really looking at it. There’s a lot I don’t like about the blogging world.

I don’t quite understand your process with doing work on the computer but you know I’m a fan of your work. And I enjoy reading of your enthusiasm about what you’re working on and the soundtracks and all.

I’ve been scattered and disorganized lately and barely looking at wordpress so I apologize if I messed up with following your work here. But I do believe that when people discover your art in the future, it will be great to have archives of stuff here.

And I also believe that this time in history will be looked back upon as a weird time of attention-whoring with a lot of self-promotion without giving attention to what other people were doing except to compare.

And like you, the people I would love to direct the previous comment at won’t be anyone who reads this. πŸ™‚

November 3, 2013 at 2:03 am

• All true, my friend. And my rant was in no way a critique of any recent lack of attention from you; I know you (in as much as I do) to be 100% genuine, even your silence is genuine. Yes, there is a whole demographic, now, of people whose only drive is to be ‘liked’ and ‘friended’, with zero substance/creativity/originality, nothing real to offer or contribute.
      I, too, like the above photo, and even the previous photo, but they are not my real passion, and seem, somehow, easy and flippant compared to the work and skill involved in painting.
      My digital process is pretty much like my analogue process… digital painting is a lot like physical painting, except there is no paint, you can ‘undo’ mistakes, you can paint behind layers, re-arrange layers… there is nothing to wash up, no canvas to buy, brushes to clean. It’s fricken awesome (:

November 3, 2013 at 2:31 am

• Yes!! Especially the second to last paragraph. Comparing to others is what gets us angry and depressed. And that’s an endless process, whether it’s a blog or Facebook or whatever. If you want to stay out of the psychiatrist’s office you have to compete only against yourself, not others. Be better than your own last best effort. The heck with what anybody else is doing unless you are open minded enough to learn from others.

November 3, 2013 at 3:00 am

3. My last reply was in reference to riverpearl’s reply–sorry these things don’t get posted in order!

November 3, 2013 at 3:01 am

4. I hear what you’re saying β€” I’ve given up trying to figure out what posts will appeal to people because I often get it wrong. As you point out, the merit of a thing and the time it has taken to make are not always reflected in the stats. But then you know what they say about statistics! I’ve stopped taking it too seriously. I see any like as a positive thing… whether it’s for a five-minute sketch or a major design project β€” after all, people don’t HAVE to hit the like button. Or comment ; )

November 3, 2013 at 8:34 pm

5. This is why I started blogging πŸ™‚ to see if their where ANY like minded, genuine people in this crazy 5 sec superficial world. All I can add to your post and the awesome comments, is I agree fully. I’m about to post my latest painting, that took me about 21 hours to complete, its a deeply personal piece and I’m super proud of it. I’m also painfully aware that very few are likely to appreciate it. Alli’s comment about supreme satisfaction is so true and for what its worth Chris, I truly appreciate your extreme commitment and dedication to your creations. I will always be a fan of your work and your thinking behind them. πŸ™‚

November 8, 2013 at 11:24 am

• Thanks, Cari-Ann. With your comment, that completes the ‘5 or so’ people I mentioned at the top, who have any genuine interaction with me. You guys make it all worth doing. As always, I value your perspicacity and willingness to contribute to the dialogue. I look forward to seeing your painting (:

November 8, 2013 at 7:30 pm