Altered Alice

alteredAlice

Alice has returned from her trip. The girl seem’s different, somehow…

1. ‘Different, somehow’ hahaha!!! This is awesome Chris, this piece reminds me SO much of Russian artist Oleg Dou’s work, especially his ‘horned’ work. If you don’t know him, maybe check out his work, I think you will see what I mean. Glad the Alice roll is still rolling. 🙂

February 5, 2014 at 3:15 pm

• Thanks, Cari-Ann (: I’m familiar with some of his work. I find his work almost clinical in it’s sterile intensity, and usually kind of creepy. I’m not familiar with his ‘horned’ work, I tried searching it but could only find a few images with stick-like/branch-like ‘horns’. Sooo… as I feel Alice can be un-settling, but never creepy, and as her new horns are extremely horn-like, and as, though she is pale, she still has warm flesh tones as apposed to frigid alabaster/porcelain-like skin, I’m afraid I don’t see too much of a similarity, sorry. I am, however, flattered to have my work remind you of the work of an artist who has a cult following (:

February 5, 2014 at 5:55 pm

• Hi Chris, I agree 100% with your thoughts on his work been Sterile and yes, creepy. I personally have never felt Alice to be creepy or un-settling in any way. In spite of the sterility and creepiness, I for some reason find an unusual beauty in his rendering and its that part which I saw in your latest Alice piece…minus the creepy and with unmistakable life and vibrancy :). I’m looking forward to your next posts. 🙂

February 6, 2014 at 8:08 am

• Some of his stuff is really beautiful, Duza’s Tears is gorgeous! The ones of his I like, Duza’s Tears and some of the Nun images, its the beautiful eyes I like most. I can see that Alice’s strange beauty, which is mostly in her eye’s, and her child-like vulnerability (totally illusory, of course), makes her like his more beautiful, less creepy (long tongues, hairy faces, seethrough faces…) images.
        My next post is going to be a new character!

February 6, 2014 at 9:00 am

• Ooooh, I’m excited!! 🙂

February 6, 2014 at 9:09 am

• Me, too! (:

February 6, 2014 at 9:34 am

2. This is a curiously intriguing work–don’t know if I can adequately explain why. The landscape artist in me loves the background. Alice looks like she’s standing in front of a painting (because the styles are so distinctive) yet it could easily be that she is actually in a forest in the sense of an animation composite. Instead of the two styles warring with one another, however, they interact with each other to create a dynamic composition. So much for “artspeak”…I don’t usually do that!

February 5, 2014 at 6:56 pm

• As I’m sure you’ve noticed, I have two main styles, my photo-realist style, and this one, which is highly stylised, but contains elements of realism in that I try to get lighting and shadow on the character to be believable. I painted most of this with a version of that background behind it then, when I’d finished Alice, I created about 15 different backgrounds (one of the many beauties of Photoshop) and chose the one I liked most.
      I wanted the background to be a continuation of the psychedelic ‘Alice takes a trip’ series, but to be as though things were coalescing into something less psychedelic and more tangibly ‘real’, in this case a ‘forest’; but still ethereal. I agree they are stylistically different, the background is actually my 3rd style, the ‘patterns and textures’ style I do, but I feel they work beautifully together because of that fact, they create a lovely, stylistic tension that is a style in itself.
      So, judging from your comment, I have been successful in my intention! Thanks for the thoughtful, as always, feedback, Alli (:

February 5, 2014 at 7:39 pm