Virtual Worlds

Below is a short research paper I wrote on ‘Virtual Worlds‘, as part of a New Media research assignment, back in 2010. It is two jpg’s I made from the original PDF, so the links aren’t live, and there’s a big gap half way down, but it is, still, a fascinating read for anyone with an interest in the subject…

virtual worldsvirtual worlds

1. The print is so small and I’ve misplaced my reading glasses this morning.. lol.. but I have to run for a bit, but I plan to read it later.. as I find it fascinating to read about other virtual worlds and everything SL has to offer, especially about how RL companies use it. I had heard this before, and wonder if it’s still the case today. Thanks for sharing. 🙂

May 30, 2017 at 1:58 pm

• Yes, I wrote this 7 years ago, and only dug it out recently as I’d just had a conversation with a friend who knew nothing about SL, and I’d told her some of the stuff from the paper, which got me wanting to re-read it… I think I’ll do a bit of research and see if there are more or less RL presences now (:

May 30, 2017 at 5:17 pm

2. Good paper. The only problem I have is the fact that Second Life is not a game. Virtual Worlds and online games are different and putting Farmville in this category is weird. SL has no end game objective it is a reality another life. You are not actually playing anything. Anyway… great post!

May 30, 2017 at 2:45 pm

• I make it fairly clear that SL is not a game, but that it can be, if that’s all you think it is.

May 30, 2017 at 5:41 pm

• I zoomed in real far to read it. What threw me off is the game of Farmville being grouped with Virtual worlds. But I see what you are saying. Sometimes people get the games confused and mixed up with Virtual Worlds. Sorry I sounded like I didn’t read a thing but quite honestly I gave up the first time at half way since it was so small LOL. Thanks for a good read.

May 31, 2017 at 2:53 am

3. this is fascinating stuff Chris and even a tad scary! I wonder if that millionaire is the one portrayed on Life 2.0 a few years back. I admit I try not to spend virtually as I like the tactile lol!! I can’t imagine living life in a virtual world. We’d lose so much. But for me, it’s like going to the movies or reading a good book. I love the imaginative and artistic aspect!!

May 30, 2017 at 4:07 pm